Workplace Studio Leader – SmithGroup
SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,300 experts across 15 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists—from artists and engineers, to nurses, workplace strategists and beyond—develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces.
The Dallas office of SmithGroup is looking for a Workplace Studio Leader to join our team. In collaboration with the Office Director and Workplace National Practice Director, the Studio Leader sets the general direction and strategy for Studio activities including business development and advocacy for design excellence within the office through a holistic and collaborative approach. The Studio Leader consistently exhibits and demonstrates a commitment to SmithGroup’s core values – Collaboration, Creativity, Community, Integrity and the Environment. As a whole, these items create a Studio that is a high-achieving, very market-competitive, and sustainable enterprise.
Working with us, you will
- Provide leadership, management and strategy necessary for the development and growth of the Workplace studio consistent with SmithGroup’s strategic themes of growing the firm, building expertise and designing holistically.
- Identify target clients and develop a business development plan with the Practice Leader, Office Director and Business Development Director within the office.
- Maintain relationships with past clients and develop relationships with current/new clients.
- Provide marketing leadership via active participation in projects through all phases, from initial client contacts through marketing pursuits, sales efforts, and contract negotiations.
- Represent SmithGroup’s Workplace expertise in the region through attendance and/or presentations at local, regional and national conferences.
- Work with the Office Director and the Director of Operations to ensure that marketing & sales budgets, revenue and project performance targets are achieved and that studio issues are addressed.
- Prepare financial forecasting and budgeting to create a viable studio budget in concert with the Office budge.
- Make decisions and recommendations in concert with the Office Leadership Committee of significant impact on the Office’s primary activities, strategic objectives, guidelines, quality, standards and principles.
- Work with discipline leaders and staff assuring the technical, administrative and schedule targets are met.
- Participate in recruiting, coaching, and career development of staff.
- Consistently exhibit and demonstrate a commitment to SmithGroup’s core values – passion, sustainability, equity, community, curiosity, and integrity.
An ideal candidate has:
- A professional degree in Architecture, Interior Design, Engineering or equivalent combination of related experience and/or training.
- 15+ years related experience preferred and/or training (or equivalent combination of education and experience) in the AE Industry.
- Registration or licensure in relevant field.
- Sustainability credentials and/or commitment to achieve certification within six months of hire.
- Successful track record of winning work in several core project typologies which include:
- Headquarters for end-user clients
- Tenant and corporate interiors
- National and regional accounts
- Government (interior workplace renovation and new construction)
- Corporate campus master planning
- Mixed-use developments (office, retail, residential, hospitality, etc.)
- Workplace strategy & change management services
- Demonstrated effectiveness and a strong commitment to working in a team-based setting, delivering high client service and technical competence.
- Strong leadership skills in the areas of business development, professional and civic involvement.
- Strong business acumen and critical thinking skills in the pursuit of the work.
- The ability to take responsibility and ownership to meet standards, budgets, schedules and deadlines.
- A high degree of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
SmithGroup offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested candidates can apply online at: https://career4.successfactors.com/career?company=smithgroupP&career_job_req_id=1176&career_ns=job_listing&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH